Activate an optimized version of the page designed specifically for screen readers.
Outdated browsers can expose your computer to security risks. To ensure a secure experience, we recommend updating to the latest browser version. Support for this browser version will soon be discontinued.
IMSD Application for Graduate Students
Eligibility Requirements for Doctoral Scholars in the IMSD-Training Grant Program
• A Masters or a B.A/B.S. degree with a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0
• U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
• Applicants must have graduated within the last three years
• Must be part of an ethnic group considered to be historically underrepresented by the federal government and/or demonstrated educational deficiencies due to economic deprivation or geographic disadvantages (e.g., inner city disadvantaged schools, disadvantaged schools in rural poverty areas.
IMSD-Doctoral Program Benefits
• Academic community-based supportive environment
• Strong Biomedical/Behavioral and Life Sciences educational atmosphere
• Professional development skills
• Up to $27,000 annual stipend & tuition support
• Travel support to attend and/or to present at a scientific meeting; potential for travel money to attend a workshop for training in the degree field.
Current E-mail Address
Are you a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident?
If not a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident, please provide your Alien registration #
Native American/Alaskan Native
Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
Asian or Asian American
RESEARCH DISCIPLINE CHOICES
Note: IMSD Scholars are in doctoral degree programs in a number of departments and interdisciplinary units. Fields eligible for IMSD support are biomedical/behavioral research in science or engineering.
Please indicate the areas of research you are interested in. (Check up to 3)
Development of Drugs and Disease Treatments
Molecular & Biochemical Nutrition
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Physiology and Endocrinology
Please indicate your first research area choice.
Please indicate your second choice.
Please indicate the Faculty member(s) you are interested in working with (please visit www.vt.edu for faculty in your discipline of interest) Note: First year IMSD students will do a rotation in order to make an informed decision regarding one's lab choice.
Primary Phone Number:
Please list all educational institutions attended, degrees obtained as well as the year degree was received.
Overall Undergraduate GPA:
Overall Masters GPA (if applicable)
GRE Verbal Score:
GRE Math Score
GRE Analytical Writing Score
**PLEASE NOTE: A completed application also requires:
•Statement of your career goals and how IMSD will help you reach them. (1-2 pages)
•Official academic transcripts from all institutions attended.
•Three letters of recommendation (at least two from a faculty member) from individuals familiar with your academic potential for a doctoral graduate degree in biomedical/behavioral study in science or engineering.
Send these additional materials to:
IMSD Program Director
Comparative Genomics Lab
Animal and Poultry Sciences Department
2250 Litton-Reaves Hall
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061
Powered by Qualtrics