Activate an optimized version of the page designed specifically for screen readers.
Outdated browsers can expose your computer to security risks. To ensure a secure experience, we recommend updating to the latest browser version. Support for this browser version will soon be discontinued.
VT-PREP Program Application
Eligibility Requirements for VT-PREP Scholars
• Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
• Must be part of an ethnic group considered to be historically underrepresented by the federal government and/or demonstrated educational deficiencies due to economic deprivation or geographic disadvantages (e.g., inner city disadvantaged schools, disadvantaged schools in rural poverty areas.)
• Applicants must hold a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum GPA of 2.8/4.0
• Applicants must have graduated within the last three years
VT-PREP Program Benefits
• Academic and community-based supportive environment
• Strong Biomedical/Behavioral and Life Sciences educational atmosphere
• Professional development skills including research, writing, presentation, and networking
• Up to $27,000 annual stipend plus benefits as a "commonwealth scholar"
• Tuition support to attend foundation courses such as biochemistry and/or research methods, or molecular biology
• Travel support to attend and/or present at a scientific meeting including ABRCMS and SACNAS
• Support to attend a workshop for training in specific research areas or acquire new skills
• Intense mentoring to help you meet your goal of admission into a Ph.D. program of your choice
• A GRE preparation course if needed
Current E-mail Address
Are you a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident?
RESEARCH DISCIPLINE CHOICES
Note: Research areas pursued by PREP scholars are primarily interdisciplinary in behavioral/biomedical science and engineering.
Please indicate the areas of research you are interested in. (Check up to 3)
Development of Drugs and Disease Treatments
Molecular & Biochemical Nutrition
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Physiology and Endocrinology
Other Disciplines (please visit the Virginia Tech home page at vt.edu to identify your area of interest if not listed above) :
Please indicate your first research area choice.
Please indicate your second choice.
Please list any specific Doctoral Program you are interested in (please visit www.graduateschool.vt.edu for programs in your area of interest)
Please indicate the Faculty member(s) you are interested in working with (please visit www.vt.edu for faculty in your discipline of interest if not listed at http://www.prep.apsc.vt.edu/mentors-and-research/
Primary Phone Number:
Please list all educational institutions attended, degrees obtained as well as the year degree was received.
Overall Undergraduate GPA:
NOTE: GRE scores are not required and are not taken into consideration for entry into the program. GRE scores are ONLY used to determine your foundation.
GRE Verbal Score:
GRE Math Score
GRE Analytical Writing Score
Please upload a statement of your career goals and how PREP will help you reach them. (1-2 pages)
Please upload your resume.
Please upload your unofficial transcripts.
**PLEASE NOTE: A completed application also requires:
•Three letters of recommendation (at least two from a faculty member) from individuals familiar with your academic potential for a doctoral graduate degree in biomedical/behavioral study in science or engineering. These letters can be sent by email.
•Official academic transcripts from all institutions can be sent to:
PREP Program Director
Comparative Genomics Lab
Animal and Poultry Sciences Department
2250 Litton-Reaves Hall
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061
Powered by Qualtrics