Activate an optimized version of the page designed specifically for screen readers.
Virginia Tech Geography or Meteorology Field Experience: Proposal
The purpose of the field experience is to obtain valuable experience, apply skills and knowledge you’ve learned in classes, and to gain exposure to various learning opportunities. A field experience is a structured experiential learning opportunity on location with a company, organization, group, or academic department. Examples might be a study abroad (GEOG only), undergraduate research, internship, or service learning project. This survey is to be used by students who are completing the internship or service learning option.
To find an appropriate experience, gather ideas from the adviser in the geography main office in 115 Major Williams, faculty in the GEOG department, VT career services, VT Engage (service learning), VT Global Education Office, or the CNRE Job Board. An internship, as defined by career services, is a one term work assignment, most often in the summer, but not always. Internships can be full time or part time and paid or unpaid. A significant service learning experience may also count toward the requirement.
To receive academic credit, students must complete 150 hours of work under the supervision of someone with a degree or experience in that field and provide the following documentation:
1. Student responsibility:
- An approved field experience proposal
- A student reflection paper at the end of the experience This reflection paper which should address the following four items: What did you learn? What was the best part of the experience? What things could have made the experience better? Would you recommend this experience to other students?
2. Employer responsibility:
- Your supervisor will be sent an evaluation at the end of your experience
All completed work can be submitted via survey links.
• Field Experience credit can be earned in GEOG/MTRG 2964 as a freshman/sophomore or GEOG/MTRG 4964 as a junior/senior.
• To receive internship credit through the GEOG department, the internship must be related to the major and must be proposed and departmentally approved before beginning the experience. Retroactive credit for prior experiences will not be granted.
• Students must have completed at least 12 credits of GEOG/MTRG courses by the beginning of the experience.
• After departmental approval, credit hours will be added to a student’s schedule. Typically, this is for the term in which the internship is being completed.
• Once credit hours are added to a schedule, students are responsible for any TUITION AND FEES associated with the credit hours.
• Final due dates for employer evaluation and student reflections are based on the term that the student is registered.
For more information, please contact:
Virginia Tech Geography Department
115 Major Williams Hall
Phone: (540) 231-6886
To propose a field experience, complete the information below.
Student ID number
First/primary major (or major that you need this credit for)
At the beginning of the experience, what will be your academic class level?
10 - Freshman (<30 credit hours completed)
20 - Sophomore (31 to 60 credit hours completed)
30 - Junior (61 to 90 credit hours completed)
40 - Senior (91> credit hours completed)
Employer's physical address
Employer's online address (webpage of the organization), if applicable
Supervisor's/employer's name and e-mail
Please list the break down of work dates and hours that will fulfill the 150 hour requirement for the field experience.
If you are being paid, please enter the amount below.
Term of enrollment requested
Please provide a brief description of the expected scope and duties of this experience.
How this field experience relates to your major and how you can expect to benefit?
Powered by Qualtrics